Work to make life easier and improve productivity

(Photos in reverse chronological order)

The tent covering the engine, showing the proprietary 'Smith-Taylor' eyelets, March 2008.

Vegetation clearance ongoing in road 1B, January 2009.

The fab shop interior, the extractor fan is on the right hand wall, November 2006.

External view showing the weather hood.

Ian welding up the hop-up, October 2006.

John Villiers pauses whilst putting in the base for our new fab shop, July 2006. Photo: Iain Smith

Robin and Ian erecting the tent over the boiler, June 2006. Photo: Iain Smith

Ian welding up the diagonal stiffeners, May 2006.

The new tent frames being welded, April 2006.

Iain and Glen priming the longitudinal members, April 2006.

We replaced the tarpaulin on the tent covering the tender frames. This shot shows the arrangement of the frames, which are constructed from old boiler tubes in ten foot modules. November 2005. Photo Iain Smith

Iain and Glen cleaning down the longitudinal members, April 2006.


Davie Murray repointing Max's shed to give us weatherproof storage area, September 2005.

The roof completed, with new fascia boards and guttering. December 2005. Photo Iain Smith

Iain acquired this trailer for us, it will mean we don't have to borrow or hire a van for all but the biggest transportation jobs. All I need now is a towbar...

The shed roof was leaking badly, so we demolished the chimney and various protuberances and framed it out to take corrugated sheeting. November 2005.

Ian cutting rivets to length for the bunker sides using our new chopsaw, May 2004. This, as you can imagine, is a lot quicker than using a hacksaw!

We demolished Max's derelict coal shed in February 2005, once the ground is levelled we will be able to get barrows through here without having to negotiate steps.

View of our site taken from the road in 2004, showing the second tent we erected to cover the tender tank.

The old forge, which runs on coal, shown here adapted to heat rivets with a propane torch. This has given us good service over the years, but is heavy and takes time to set up.

We have spent a lot of time running in electric power to the site, setting up a workshop and covered storage space and erecting a temporary shelter to cover parts of the engine whilst it is being worked upon. This is a proprietary design, with standard frames welded up from old boiler tubes that assemble to form 10ft square modules. We now have enough parts fabricated for 6 bays and it has withstood 80mph gales this winter without damage.

We were having difficulty heating up rivets to sufficient temperature, so Ian came up with a design for a compact propane gas forge, based on an American design he got off the internet. Ian is see here welding up the door hinges on the new forge, May 2004. Pictures of the forge in use can be found on the rivetting page.

When we started working on 46464, the engine was sat in a siding far from a power source, and we had no covered storage space. The photo below shows our site in February 2002, on the day we laid our siding.

The back room of the bothy, which has been fitted out with storage racks to make best use of the available space. We have invested in bottle trolleys, sack barrows, etc to minimise the amount of manual handling and speed up setting up times.


The Carmyllie Pilot Company Ltd 2009